Thursday, October 11, 2007

Philipine Education

Education

The term “libertad” became the cry of Filipinos under the Spanish regime. Rizal did shed his blood to covet liberty. Unlike, Bonifacio he did it the other way. If Bonifacio wants to solve it through bloodshed, Rizal fought through Education.

Education is widely treasured in the Philippines. It seems that good opportunities only land to those who have good education. In this country, academic learning does not come cheap. Public schools are not always for free. Unfortunately, parents have to pay miscellaneous fees and have to sustain their children with “baon”. This is just a small matter, but unfortunately a lot simply can’t afford it. The wages the parents are earning are just enough for daily living. It is depressing but factual. This is a probable reason why a number of social groups are sprouting offering help with the unfortunate. Thankfully, a number seems to like being a “Santa Claus” to needy. It gives me a smile.

What Filipinos should know is to erase the notion that “Poverty is a virtue”. Poverty is a curse. It should be counteracted. Laziness can be a possible cause for it.

I and my cousins are bombarded about how education can help us as raised by my parents, relatives and even our Lola. At an early age, the importance of education retained in my mind.

Subtly, I have seen how we dream of a good education. The sojourns of my older cousins for good education land them to far places, away from the comforts of home. I never taught about this, I just want to learn, as simple and plain as that. Now, that I am in college, I have seen how studying abroad can be an edge to an individual. But of course, good education doesn’t come cheap. We have to pay the price.

Common Advice by Various People

Mother: Read. Read. Read

Uncle, Dr. Regidor: Just Read

English, High School teacher: Read Time Magazine

College Teacher: I am happy to know that you are reading

Now, I understand how this works. It has helped me. Really! This advice would be the same reason I will love to give to my nieces, nephews and friends. I have a lot to say about this, but I am running out of time. Until next time, promise!

No comments: