Monday, February 21, 2011

Advantages and Disadvantages of Watching Movies

(As I see it)

Have watched movies via the bus I was riding on my way to different places for my BIG mission. Then, I realized how I remember the words of my dear College teachers about movies, flick, the school of thoughts, the style, the era or type of government that might affect the works of the directors, the intro to film and the literary criticism subjects, so high I can’t get over it, then back to my senses, I’m watching movies and reality tells me it’s been a loooong time since I’ve watched movies. I might not remember all those notes on my college notes, but right at this time, trying to tinker my mind as a form of mind exercise.

The learning I got from the four corners might be handed for a very good reason, I do believe. In time, whether I like it or not, in some way or another, it will cross my path. If it’s handed to me, I owe to give it back.

I realized that I almost forgot the feeling of making a literary criticism or a movie review or something like that with stipulated adrenaline-rush-mighty-heart-pounding-feeling of “getting it right,” meaning I should make my assignments right or else FAIL the subject. There’s no mediocre grade. Only Pass or Fail, you’re free to choose. It’s all a matter of choice.

By watching a movie (the good ones), THE ADVANTAGES as I see it:

 We have the chance to see the setting, the way of life, the culture, the tourist destinations, the type of government, the type of era, different races, different ways of thinking, different styles, the moral of the story if there is any, the plot and any lesson we can pick.
 Movies can be used to broadcast the TRUTH
 Movies can be used to magnify the Father’s creation. A simple act of kindness shown and seen by many can be so contagious that can touch the viewers to do the same action.
 Movies can be used as a portrayal of a certain hero or a person or a group who have done an incredible thing and invite the world to do the same thing.

But unfortunately not all movies are done to impart wisdom. Others are having a different agenda in mind, THE DISADVANTAGES as I see it are:

 To character assassinate a certain subject. This can be person/s or a country,
 To inject fear, injustice, violence or annoying scenes as the director’s way of getting the attention of the audience meaning to get the viewer’s attention and inject the high feeling by the act of annoyance,
 To induce leftist ideas inviting the viewers to side with the left.
 As a simple form of entertainment to gain profit, nothing more nothing less. It’s all about money.
 To twist the truth and by the power of media smoothly convince the people that the “wrong doing/idea” is sugar-coated being portrayed to the viewers as the “cool and the right thing.” Example: The notion of drinking and smoking is a cool thing, so kids emulate the actors.
 Instead of uplifting the spirits, there are movies that take that spirit away. Be cautious.

I think I have to review my notes. I know I have forgotten a lot of things about this topic.

No comments: